Saturday, March 23, 2013

Not why. Why not?

I wanted to write when my trip was two weeks away, then I wanted to write when it was one week away. Here I sit now, late Saturday night, three days away.

I really need to start by saying, God bless my parents. I mean, really. Me, their only child, has thus far in her life decided to transfer to a college hundreds of miles away from them, then fly across the world to live for a year, and is now taking herself on a multi-city European trip -- alone. I cannot pinpoint how or why I am at ease with my distinctly independent choices, but I am certain they deserve the credit. Thank you, thank you, thank you for always supporting me whether you agreed or understood, nudging me to always follow my heart and loving me to the fullest. It is because of you both that I have grown into the person I always hoped, as a child, I'd be as an adult.

Packing has not officially begun but there are countless piles around my apartment just waiting for a place. Of course there's a list on my kitchen table. Hey look, there's even a few things crossed off. Right now, I'm not a bit stressed. I feel good about everything. Excited. Anxious. I may go as far as even saying prepared. I'm definitely prepared for Istanbul. I have maps and tips and guides out the wazoo. Lisbon? Eh. Yes, I have maps, yes, I invested in a transit card, yes, I know some places I want to visit. Beyond that I'm going into it with a bit more spontaneity.

Let me address what has, rightfully, drawn some quizzical looks the past few weeks: the fact that I am taking this trip by myself. I understand the safety and security side of it, I promise you I do and that's not something I will be cavalier about. But that aspect is not enough to keep me from doing something I desire to do -- at least not in this case. I bummed around Tokyo on a regular basis so the idea of exploring a city is not daunting to me, it's exciting.
How liberating it is to not have to agree on where to go or what to see, to not have to wait for anyone. Do you know how difficult it can be to travel with someone? I am not excluding myself from this equation.
I have some fantastic people in my life and while I did pose this trip to a few of them, none could commit for their own legitimate reasons. Again, not enough of a factor to stop me.
The phrase I've instilled recently is: No husband, no kids, no pets. If now is not a time for me to travel and see the parts of the world that interest me most, I know it will be much different (but hopefully not harder) if any one of those three things enters my life.

As learned from my time in Japan, my writing does best when stimulated by new experiences. What you can expect from this blog: words, pictures, and maybe a video or two. I will post a few pictures here then link to a larger album. Both of my hotels have wi-fi. I am hoping to post frequently but I have no idea how my days will turn out. I look ever so forward to your comments and any questions you may have about all I share.

Thank you to everyone  who has been encouraging and excited along with me in the days leading up to this journey. Knowing I have a squad at home cheering me on is a comfort I could never even begin to adequately describe.

No comments:

Post a Comment