Thursday, March 28, 2013

Breakfast and dinner

Last night I ate an entire fish for dinner.
Granted, it was a smallish sea bass, but still.
I knew what I ordered even though I've never been served an entire fish before.
This is all leading up to the fact it was delicious.
Eating around bones > shelling crabs. (Sorry family)
It was served with a few grilled vegetables but most notably there were grilled oranges on my plate. And also the cutest strawberries, stems on! Adorable.

I found that restaurant via TripAdvisor right before I ventured to it. It had 5 tables; a few more if you count the ones outside. I thought it would be a few blocks away but it turned out to be less than a two minute walk from my hotel. I am finding everything here to be closer than I expected.
Yes, men (shopkeepers? restauranteurs?) have spoken to me from the stoops of their respective businesses but I pretend as if I don't hear/understand them and walk on. Bali was MUCH more intense in that respect. But, let's see if I have the same opinion after I visit the Grand Bazaar.

Top sheet aside, I slept great last night.
Breakfast is included in my stay here and I will tell you it is wonderful.
They had an entire honeycomb this morning. Like, fresh from the beehive. It was about a foot in length by 7-8 inches high. I've never seen anything like it; just hanging there, knife and spatula set out for the self-serve honeycomb.
Let me tell you what else was self-serve: oranges. As in, make your own juice. What a delight! Here's a bowl of oranges, here's a knife, here's a juicer, go to town. You know I did.
The only thing slightly disappointing to my palate thus far has been the yogurt I had this morning. Bleck. No, thank you.
And now for the part perhaps only my mother would appreciate: they had egg cups! Cute little holders for your hard-boiled eggs.
There was also polenta. See? Totally not disappointed with this spread.
It was obviously all excellent fuel for what I knew was going to be a long day.


No comments:

Post a Comment