Saturday, March 30, 2013

Mosques of my dreams

It happened. I saw the Blue Mosque with my own eyes; and it is even more grandiose than you could imagine. From the outside, it is absolutely gigantic, no other words for it.
Inside, it didn't seem so big. But, the ceilings and heights are really what makes it so impressive.

I waited in line inside the courtyard of the mosque. No one in front nor behind me readily spoke English so this time I kept to myself, almost stricken by awe of where I was and what I was doing. It was cold. As the queue became shorter I knew I wouldn't be required to cover my head but it was so gosh darn chilly I wrapped my scarf around my head in the best traditional style I could muster. This mosque did require the removal of shoes and they are certainly strict about it, and rightfully so. They give you a plastic bag to hold your footwear.

Across the square from the Blue Mosque is the Hagia Sofia. (Also known as: Sancta, or Aya Sofya) Although almost just as big, I felt the beauty of this mosque was on the inside.
Before one takeover or another, it was a cathedral. This is easily evidence by the many mosaics depicting Christ, his mother, and persons of their day.
I struck up a very nice conversation with a father traveling with his 2 daughters from Germany. They were from near Nuremberg. As we were waiting, a whole cavalcade of cars and security came through, entering the Hagia Sofia. Who? What?
When I finally got inside the grounds, I asked a security guard: the Prime Minister of Cameroon.
Neat, eh? I have a picture and he is somewhere in amongst the mass crowded near the prayer floor.

I write this as I sit at breakfast on Saturday morning. I would love to write more but I am finding my days to be full and my mind and body are just beat by the time I settle down at night. I am trying to mark down notable things throughout the day to detail here later. And today? Today is bazaar and fancy hamam day!!!
Here are some from the mosques.





































1 comment: