Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Airport interlude

I checked in almost three hours to the minute from my departure time. However, for a minute I was not even sure I was going to make it to the terminal because my parking shuttle driver seemed to be born with a lead foot. I was re-organizing my things and WHOOPS there goes my sunglasses and cosmetics kit flying across the shuttle's floor. I was the only one on the shuttle so I risked my life to stand up and retrieve my items while this dude rocketed our shuttle ahead.
Also, do they not drop you off right at the check-in doors anymore? Not that this is a huge deal but girl with a bad back really doesn't take a liking to walking across the street, through baggage claim, and up a flight to get to the ticket counter.

Those who know me well know one of my main personal credos: Preparation is my comfort zone. My purse is always large and I promise I have everything you need. Hey, thanks for this gene, Mom! I think at this point my carry-on bag may be heavier than my suitcase.

For this trip I invested in a rolling duffle; I am already singing its praises. By the time I got everything in, Miss Overpacker had at least 10 lbs to spare. Clearly that portable luggage scale has been a good investment, as well. Buuuut by the time my trip reaches its end and I am about to leave Lisbon something tells me I will have invested in the cheapest tote I can find to cart home all your souvenirs.

I'm currently bogarting an entire 4-person table in the atrium in my airport home of Terminal C. It's bright and kind of airy but it smells like ketchup. I always (usually! whenever possible!) do the right thing so God help the person who tries to sit down and share this table with me. Unless it's an attractive and cosmopolitan looking gentleman. Then, by all means, HAVE A SEAT, SIR.

A word about airport security screening: my carry-on bag was flagged and checked earlier. The TSA officer (a woman) was friendly and gentle with my things. They saw the ipad holder I have, which, as an aluminum easel of sorts, does look like a sharp weapon. She dug that out, examined it, and replaced it. Then she took out my ipad, said she had to some kind of test to it, took it out of my sight for no more than 3 seconds and that was it. Done. Did I at all, in any way take issue with any of this? No way. If they are being this thorough then thank you, TSA, thank you for protecting me and all of us. I don't think it's silly and I'm actually happy to let them do their business. I mean come on, this is coming from a girl who doesn't even wear socks when she knows she has to remove her shoes in the security line. How THAT falls out of line with so many of my other ocd-ish quirks, I have no idea.

I land in Munich in what will be the early, early morning for all of you. If I find my way and exchange my currency with enough time to spare I will certainly share what transpired in the air.

LotsofLove
SMW

No comments:

Post a Comment